• Original article (Clinical research) • Previous Articles     Next Articles

Clinical study on 121 cases of abdominal wall endometriosis

ZHANG Ping1,2, SUN Ya-bing1, CHEN Zheng-yun2, XU Hong1, ZHANG Xin-mei2, HUANG Xiu-feng2   

  1. 1.The International Peace Maternity and Child Health Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200030, China; 2.Womens Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310006, China
  • Online:2016-10-28 Published:2016-11-29
  • Supported by:

    Public Welfare Technology Application Research Project in Zhejiang Province, 2013C33149


Objective·To analyze clinical characteristics and diagnostic and therapeutic procedure of patients with abdominal wall endometriosis (AWE) and explore effective treatment and prevention methods. Methods·Clinical data of 121 AWE cases were retrospectively analyzed. Results·Of 121 AWE cases, 120 cases (99.2%) were secondary to cesarean section with a median latency of 24 months. Of 94 cases (77.7%) with the description of cesarean section incision type, 65 cases (69.1%) had the transverse incision (Pfannenstiel incision) and the other 29 cases (30.9%) had the vertical midline incision. All patients underwent the excision of endometriosis lesions and a total of 146 lesions were excised. Of 146 lesions, the upper bound of 97 lesions (66.4%) was in the subcutaneous fat layer, the upper bound of 26 lesions (17.8%) was in the anterior rectus sheath, and the upper bound of other 23 cases (15.8%) was in the muscular layer. Conclusion·Decreasing the cesarean section rate, optimizing the cesarean section procedure, and protecting the incision are key factors for the prevention of AWE.

Key words: abdominal wall endometriosis, cesarean section, abdominal incision