›› 2012, Vol. 32 ›› Issue (2): 211-.doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1674-8115.2012.02.019

• Original article (Clinical research) • Previous Articles     Next Articles

Clinical analysis of 139 cases of intraocular silicon oil removal

YE Qiang, XU Xian, CAI Wen-quan, LIU Kun   

  1. Department of Ophthalmology, the First People's Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200080, China
  • Online:2012-02-28 Published:2012-02-28
  • Supported by:

    Shanghai Key Laboratory for Ocular Fundus Diseases Foundation, 07Z22911


Objective To explore the clinical application and control of risks of operation in intraocular silicon oil removal. Methods Intraocular silicon oil removal with active and continuous aspiration were performed on 139 patients (139 eyes) who had received vitrectomy combined with silicon oil tamponade. The status of vitreous chamber and retina after operation was observed, and the relationship between intraocular pressure control and retinal redetachment after operation was analysed. Results All patients completed the operation. One hundred and thirtyfive patients (97.12%) had clear vitreous chamber and intact retina after operation, while the other 4 patients (2.88%) experienced retinal redetachment after operation. Thirty-two patients (23.02%) developed lower intraocular pressure after operation, 4 of whom were those with retinal redetachment after operation, and there were significant differences in the prevalences of lower intraocular pressure after operation between patients with retinal detachment after operation and those without retinal detachment after operation (100% vs 20.74%,χ2=13.77, P<0.01). Conclusion Intraocular silicon oil removal with active and continuous aspiration is safe and effective, and proper management of intraocular pressure during and after operation plays an important role in silicon oil removal.

Key words: intraocular silicon oil removal, retinal detachment, risk of operation